The Pennsylvania Association of Computer and Information Science Educators
Executive Board Meeting
Lock Haven, PA / videoconference
Friday, January 20, 2006
- Meeting called to order at 3:00pm.
- This meeting was conducted largely through videoconferencing.
- The Treasurer's report was provided earlier, via email. The report was approved and accepted on voice vote.
- The Board has received a request for individual membership from Denis Spanish, IAC at Westchester. A question was raised as to whether the by-laws are pertinent. J. Thomas is opposed if the applicant is not a faculty member. D. Hutchins is to seek clarificaton
on the request.
- S. Ezekiel reported on plans for the conference, at IUP.
- Holiday Inn has a conference rate: $50 with a PASSHE voucher, $59 without voucher.
- Registration forms are available only through the website, linked from
- The general schedule is like previous conferences.
- All conference rooms will be equipped with computers and video projectors.
- Joe Cannon has left Kutztown. This leaves a gap with paper reviews for the conference procedures. Volunteers are needed, and requested.
- A question was raised about prizes for student papers. After discussion, the idea was deferred until next year.
- a BOF session was suggested, concerning federal support for encouragement of minorities and women participating in Computer Science.
- R. Montante agreed to chair a BOF session on accreditation.
- The 2009 conference still does not have a site.
- Other business and discussion:
- Participant reactions were mixed, as was the degree and quality of participation. There is some consensus that the idea is good, although the mechanics were awkward this time. The next few meetings will be physical.
- There was some discussion of accreditation. It does not appear to support adequate opportunities for faculty research. A low math requirement was also mentioned as a deficiency. Paul Sible expressed an interest in participating in the BOF at the conference.
- The meeting adjourned at 3:55pm.
R A Montante (on crutches)